Friday, December 18, 2009

21. Presentations yaaaaaa

Dear students,

In the last 2 weeks or so, in addition to your 15 practice presentations, I have watched 11 other presentations by teachers! Tomorrow I will watch 7 more teacher presentations! And in Week 14 I will watch your 15 final presentations! I have presentations coming out of my ears! :)

And on top of all that, I am spending this Friday night finishing up my own presentation (the second one in a week!) Tomorrow is the final session of my Teaching English with Technology course. 40 hours of this course have taken place online, and 10 are face-to-face. We have each been asked to present two Web 2.0 applications to the other teachers in the group. We need to cover the main features, how we might use them with students, and any limitations. It's a great idea, as it means that by the end of the session, we will have learned 16 new applications!

But wow...it takes a lot of time to prepare this sort of presentation, and I have been stupidly busy these past two weeks with the courses I teach and the three other courses I study. First you have to learn the application yourself, to the point that you feel quite confident with it. Then you have to condense the main features down into a mere 10-minute presentation. I had difficulty deciding whether to use my Macbook or my SU laptop, since one of my applications works differently in both (Much as I adore my Macbook, in the end I decided on the PC). We also have to create handouts, and I insist on mine looking professional, which also takes time. My tutor advised me "not to be too perfectionist", but come on, this is Sonja we're talking about...!

I don't know how it came to the point that I'm still working on this, literally at the last minute. Perhaps students' habits are rubbing off on me? ;-)

If you're interested, I will present on Evernote and MyStudiyo. Evernote could be endlessly useful to students; MyStudiyo allows you to create interactive quizzes and embed them in your blogs!

I will report back on how the presentation went. In the meantime, wish me luck!

Oops, The Simpsons is starting and my water is boiling...more later!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Sonja, it must be hard to watch that much presentation. I am afraid that you are watching presentations even in your dreams :D

    16 new applications sounds really delicious.

    I will click to the links after posting , i am interested.

    Good luck Sonja =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you luck too! But that's only because you asked for it - I think all you need is composure. I'm itching to learn about Evernote as I'm a perfect "forgetter" unfortunately. More than 40 presentations is a thing I never heard of! If all is done using powerpoint (or do teachers have their own high-tech material? :O), you may start to dislike that program from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't this word verification thing funny =) If I'm not mistaken it makes you write meaningless letters but they look like real English words =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the good luck wishes! Things went fairly disastrously, although I don't really blame myself for a change (long story)...

    I would be happy to show anyone how to use Evernote, just send me an email so we can set up a tutorial time...

    p.s. to Beri: actually, that word verification is a very clever ploy on Google's part...they use it to confirm words in Google Books that have been scanned improperly...my computer genius friend explained it to me once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yes, I heartily despise Powerpoint. :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! :)