Monday, December 21, 2009

23. Feedback on my first presentation

I blogged previously about a joint presentation I gave for teachers on the trainer education course in the School of Languages. I told you that I was strangely nervous (probably as a result of not having prepared enough!), but I also think it could be because my boss (tutor) was also in the room. She was writing notes during all the presentations, and at the end she offered to give us some feedback. Well, I hadn't known in advance that she would do that, but who's going to refuse feedback, right?

I have just received her feedback. First of all, interestingly, she recorded her feedback as a sound file. That was a first for me. She has a very pleasant voice. I would like to share her feedback with you, as it may help you with your own final presentations.

Strong points:
  • It was good right at the beginning to give a rationale as to why I chose my particular article. Similarly, it was important to mention the article's relevance to our teaching situation.
  • I outlined the goals and methods of the research study reported in the article.
  • The two interactive tasks generated good discussion.
  • It was good to weave in stories from my own teaching experience.
  • My use of Powerpoint was effective - the diagrams in particular were mentioned.
  • I seem to have an "effective presentation style".
Suggestion:
  • Since this was a joint presentation, it would be good to refer forward to what my partner is going to present.
I was surprised by all the positive points she mentioned; all I could think of was why I was so nervous and how I couldn't get my voice to work! It just shows how different the experience of presenting and being presented to really is. Always remember that the audience has no idea of what you're going to say... ;-))

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! :)